Wednesday, January 18, 2012

New Year, New Residencies





In the middle of January I began a one-month residency with Centrum at Fort Worden in Port Townsend.  In addition to making some new work I will be exploring the surrounding shapes and geography of the Olympic Peninsula.  I was awarded this residency though the help of the Artist Trust GAP grant, the Russel Jaqua Award and of course, Centrum.





I spent my first couple days exploring the trails around Fort Worden as well as its many re-purposed and reclaimed buildings and structures.













The building to the left was used to store a searchlight that would be wheeled down the path (pictured at right) to illuminate enemy ships as far as 4.5 miles away.


But today there's mostly just tugboats, container ships and ferries out there.





And some tugs moving very small mountains, my personal favorite.





No comments:

Post a Comment